Friday, March 20, 2009

Oatmeal

If any of you are in the cholesterol watching category...I have a new and delicious way to eat your daily dose of oatmeal! If you dont HAVE to eat it every day..its even better! For years I searched for a cold cereal recipe I could make in quantity for my day care....I went thru tons of it a week!! Never found anything untill now...in an old Amish cookbook...and it is wonderful!! Thought I would share it with you...can be used as a snack or as a topping for yogurt or ice cream too...... Amish Cereal...5cups QUICK oatmeal....1 cup brown sugar...1/2 to 2/3 cup light corn syrup......1 cup wheat germ.....1 cup raisins or coconut or both or use your imagination.....1/4 teaspoon cinnamon....2 teaspoons vanilla....1/2 teaspoon salt....mix all dry ingrediants together....add corn syrup and vanilla mix well...pour into shallow pans....toast at 200* untill golden brown about 20-30 minutes....serve warm or cold with milk...store in tight container.....you can use less or more of anything...very forgiving....I use less sweet stuff but then its very crumbly!...and no salt! Try it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment